Age is just a number, right? For some couples, absolutely!
An older woman-younger man marriage can work despite the stereotypes around it. Traditionally, women were allowed to marry men their age or much older. But now more than ever, women are exploring relationships with younger men for love, companionship, or even just sexual satisfaction.
Reasons why an older woman is attracted to a younger man
Below is a list of different reasons why an older woman is attracted to a younger man.
He’s attractive and energetic
A younger man could be at his peak physical condition. He could be focused on keeping fit, growing his career and bank account, and exploring the world. A younger man is sexy.
All these are attractive traits, and who wants to date a man who can’t take care of himself anyway?
He admires and respects her
An older woman can have an established career, probably well-raised kids, and traveled the world. This woman is mature and confident.
A younger man knows that she has experienced life and is emotionally and financially stable. He might be awed and inspired by the fact that she has lived. An older woman could be attracted to this younger man because she doesn’t need to prove herself. She is her own person.
Sex can be great
Sex is an important aspect of a relationship. There’s this old saying, with age comes wisdom and experience. An older woman is more experienced and knows what she wants, what works, and what doesn’t.
According to a study by Time, women are more sexually active in their 40s than 20s. Additionally, they tend to have more sexual fantasies in their middle years than younger women.
A younger man (in his 20s), on the other hand, is most likely figuring out a woman’s body. An older woman could be attracted to a younger man because he can mold him into what she wants and have her ideal sex. He can be energetic enough to make a great sexual partner.
He makes her feel young again
We become the company we keep. A younger man hangs out with his younger friends and engages in different activities. Therefore, exposing the woman to adventure and spontaneity.
Being with a younger man can recharge her sense of adventure. His youthful energy can rub off on her.
Can give her control
Some women enjoy being in power. Control can be a psychological boost to some, especially if they’ve been in controlled and manipulative relationships in the past.
A younger man can make her feel superior and like she’s in control and not the other way around. As a result, she might regain her confidence.
Reasons why a younger man is attracted to an older woman
When it comes to love and relationships, society frowns upon younger men who are into older women. But why is this? We should be allowed to love and marry whoever we want, regardless of age.
A younger guy can be attracted to an older woman for several reasons.
He can learn from her experiences
An older woman naturally has more experience in all areas such as work, love life, and just life experience in general. She has been through peaks and valleys and learned big life lessons.
A young man can learn so much from her wisdom and experience.
A young man can feel flattered when an older woman is attracted to him. It can feel like an accomplishment when he gets the attention of an older woman, which can result in a major ego boost.
He appreciates the transparency
An older woman could have been through a lot. She doesn’t have the time to play games or beat around the bush. She lays it all on the table by asking for what she wants, saying how she feels, and stating her expectations.
Quite a difference from someone a bit younger who may keep things a bit more secretive.
An older woman has loved and got her heart broken a couple of times; some have been through a divorce. An older woman has probably been through a lot more, and as a result, she has built emotional stability for things to flow better in her life, love life, and even potential marriage, and she can handle things better.
She is confident
An older woman is confident in herself and her abilities. She doesn’t seek approval from others.
Confidence is attractive, and a confident woman is secure, assertive, and living her best life. Most men are attracted to a woman that oozes confidence and being older; she has that in spades.
Pros and cons of a younger man marrying an older woman
Regardless of the age gap, as a young man, there is nothing wrong with marrying an older woman. But as with all situations, there are pros and cons to such relations.
Pros of marrying an older woman
- She might bring maturity to the relationship.
- She is in more control of her emotions. She can communicate directly and logically.
- She might bring him a more fulfilling sex life (because of her past experiences.)
- She might be in a better position to help him grow his career. She can make a good mentor.
- She appreciates what’s important in life and values spending time with family.
- She might be independent and financially stable.
- She is experienced and knows how the world works. She could help him see through most people.
Cons of marrying an older woman
- She might be overprotective because she is controlling and possessive.
- She might come with baggage. Kids from previous relations and/or baby daddy issues.
- She might not want kids, especially if she has kids from previous relationships.
- Sometimes she might not have similar interests.
- Social disapproval (bad comments from society.) They can ask questions such as, “are you there for the money?” “isn’t she old enough to be your mother?” and so much more negativity
- Different levels of maturity.
Pros and cons of an older woman marrying a younger man
When there’s compatibility, the age difference is not an issue compared to the quality of the marriage. There’s nothing wrong with marrying a younger man. Rather there are pros and cons you may face.
Pros of marrying a younger man
- He might bring excitement due to his young spirit and adventurous nature. A younger man likes to have fun.
- He might have less baggage. A younger man is less likely to have kids or baby mamas to deal with.
- He might be energetic. Hence, great sex and energy to interact with the kids.
- He might appreciate you and your achievements.
- He might be attractive.
Cons of marrying a younger man
- He might be less financially stable because he’s just establishing his career.
- He might focus more on sex than love.
- He might have immature friends.
- He might have different goals from you because he’s young and sees things differently.
How to maintain an older woman-younger man marriage
Say what we want about them, but older women-younger men marriages are rife today, and a lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon. Like all marriages, those involving an older partner also have no rules.
If you want to swing that way, here are the key points to creating a healthy and happy marriage with a younger person.
- Patience: the woman shouldn’t assume that she is right just because she is older.
- Respect each other.
- Have open and honest communication.
- Spend quality time together.
- Maintain intimacy.
What age gap is acceptable between an older woman and a younger man?
Age difference can be confusing; some people celebrate it, while it is a point of concern for others.
It’s not possible to put a specific number as what’s acceptable and what’s not acceptable. The only exception is when the situation involves a minor (under 18.)
An older woman-younger man marriage could work regardless of the age difference. As long as their love tank is full, the age gap doesn’t matter. Additionally, comfort and safety are key.
The success of any marriage depends on:
- The extent to which the partners have similar values, goals, and beliefs
- Trust and intimacy
- Support each other
- Commitment to each other
- They can solve problems in constructive ways
All the factors above have nothing to do with age. The reality of the matter is that while age may bring some challenges, as long as couples are willing to put in the work, age difference shouldn’t be an issue.
Famous older women-younger husbands
At the time of writing this (2022), there are some older women-younger men celebrities couples with an age gap and are making it work.
Gabrielle Union and Dwayne Wade
These two have an almost 10 years age difference. Gabrielle is 49 years old, while Dwayne is 40 years old. They got married in 2014 and have a daughter together. Gabrielle is a stepmom to Wade’s three other children.
Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas
Nick (29) married Priyanka (39) in 2018. They are still in love and recently welcomed their first baby via surrogate.
Heidi Klum and Tom Kaulitz
Heidi (48) and Tom (32) have a 16 years age gap. They got married in 2019.
Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton
Gwen is 52, while her husband Blake is 45. They got married in 2021.
Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden
Cameron(49) and Benji (43) have a six-year age difference. They got married in 2015 and have a daughter together.
Like all relationships, an older woman-younger man marriage can be great. But it comes with its fair share of unique challenges. The bottom line is, as long as the connection is great, then this type of age gap marriage can work.
Overall, the most important thing is to remember the main aim of marriage, which is love and companionship.